Massachusetts Justice of the Peace - Stoddard H. Melhado -- Personalized Marriage Ceremonies

Being a Good Listener

A wonderful comment I received after a wedding came from the mother of the bride who said to me, “You made it seem as if you have known my daughter all her life.” I had meet with the bride and groom once before the wedding, learned the story behind their relationship, and presented it during my personal remarks section of their wedding ceremony.

There is no secret to doing this well other than to be a good listener. I spent many years as a high school counselor and mediator and quickly learned that the key to being a good counselor is being a good listener, easy to say, but often difficult to do. Being a good listener means being an active listener, a special method of listening and responding to other people. Often when people talk to each other, they do not listen attentively, as they are distracted, thinking about something else, or thinking about what they will say next.

An active listener attends to the speaker fully, comprehends and retains what is being said, and then in his own words repeats what the speaker has said, ensuring that he has correctly heard what the speaker has said and meant.

I use aspects of this important counseling technique to fully listen to you when we meet – to find out what is important to you for your marriage ceremony and most importantly to find out about you and your relationship. Every relationship is unique, special, and deserves to be celebrated on your wedding day. I look forward to meeting you and learning about yours.

9 Comments to Being a Good Listener:

fake rolex on Friday, October 10, 2014 9:53 PM
Hey I think eduaction is a rather long learning proccess and I thank u for being our inspiration

www.essaywriting-service.org on Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:05 PM
Really structured and useful information. And everything is clear, thanks. I looked through some posts and must say, they are very interesting. Best regards, essay writer.))(*&^%$$%%^

Stock Tips Today on Saturday, April 23, 2016 7:08 AM
A wonderful comment I received after a wedding came from the mother of the bride who said to me, “You made it seem as if you have known my daughter all her life.”.....I am happy that I found your post while searching for informative posts. It is really informative and quality of the content is extraordinary.......

website on Monday, May 01, 2017 1:12 AM
Searching foreword for more information and this subject has constantly interested me. Thank you for composing an article that has awesome substance and is elegantly composed and even I am inspired by your written style too

Breaking News on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 6:08 AM
Amazing post i love it.

Michael Jackson Red Leather Jacket on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 6:12 AM
Well, authentic article some time people discuss off topic i mean from this we dont get any positive topic, if article is short but more informative argudment should be include this the real fact as you said about you personal story i really like good job.

pixel gun 3d hacks on Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:21 AM
Pixel gun 3d coin generator is currently just available via online access no should download anything.

Steve Rogers Jacket on Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:53 PM
Thank you for sharing them! I hope you will continue to have similar posts to share with everyone.

Online Transcription Services on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:09 PM
Yeah, i think it is very important to know how to listen to each other. And, unfortunately , not everyone has this gift. And the listening is not weighty only in a job ,but also in relationship.